Poulton Res give themselves hope in fight against the drop

Nine league games were played on Bank Holiday Monday as the league season entered its final furlong, with pictures of Wyre Villa v Whitehaven by DERRICK THOMAS.

In the Premier Division, Coppull United and Cleator Moor Celtic shared nine goals in an extraordinary game in which the lead changed four times.

Jake Manson put Celtic ahead but Greg Brickell and Lee Richardson put Coppull in the lead.

Danny Williamson and Ellis Trotter scored either side of the break to make it 3-2 to Cleator Moor only for Jimmy McIver and Richardson, for a second time, to strike for Coppull to make it 4-3 just after the hour mark.

Trotter made it 4-4 but Coppull had the last say, Ben Pendlebury settling a pulsating match in injury time.

Latecomers to Slyne missed half the goals as Ryan Cunningham’s second minute goal for the home side was cancelled out by Burscough Richmond's Josh Murray barely 60 seconds later.

Jordan Lorde thought his penalty had won it for Burscough but Bevan Carr grabbed Slyne a point in injury time.

Rossendale ran out 3-0 winners at home to Poulton to stay fourth and in striking distance of Burscough in third.

Luke Simpson’s double sandwiched Steve Howson’s strike – all the goals in seven second half minutes – to do the trick for Scott Wylie’s side.

Blackpool Wren Rovers
won 2-1 at Tempest United after an early blitz set them on their way to a hard-earned win.

Jackson Bateman’s right wing cross sailed in off the far post and Jacob Aspinall fired home left footed from 20 yards on 13 minutes.

Aaron Thorpe’s late penalty reduced the arrears but Tempest ran out of time to succumb to their sixth home defeat of the season.

Wyre Villa and Whitehaven both had to settle for a point in a 0-0 draw.

Eagley finished the Division One campaign with a comeback victory at Lytham Town.

Finlay Stafford had put them ahead but Lytham turned the match on its head with goals from Jimmy McPhee and Dec Preyzner.

An own goal and Joe Howlin’s strike made it 3-2 to Eagley who rounded off the win in stoppage time through Kieran Sissons.

Chipping stayed above hosts Millom after fighting back to draw 2-2.

Reece Orton and Jamie Pattinson put the home side in the ascendancy but Jack Fletcher and Ravi Goshark hit back to earn a share of the spoils.

In the big game at the bottom of Division One Reserve, Poulton prevailed to beat Rossendale 2-1.

Bradley Marsh had given Rossendale an early lead which was cancelled out by Haidan Wrathall on 46 minutes.

Ben Bowker then struck the winner for Poulton midway through the second period to put them three points ahead of the visitors.

Rossendale will have to beat Coppull now next Saturday to stay up.

And Turton won the Bolton derby 2-0 against Eagley – Cole Exley and Ben McCabe the scorers.

Where next?

PRESIDENTS CUP: Pause celebrate cup final penalty shoot-out win Aaron Helliwell hailed Pause United’s progress over the last 12 months after his side sealed a first Presidents Cup win.
Five star Grimshaw takes title battle to last day Bar a freak result of epic proportions next week, Haslingden St Mary's can celebrate a double promotion while CMB and Thornton are set for a final day cliffhanger, writes BEN SMITH with pictures from Walney Island v Dalton United by LEE HOLMES.

West Lancashire Football League newsletter

Keep up-to-date with our exclusive email newsletters.