Five star Grimshaw takes title battle to last day

Bar a freak result of epic proportions next week, Haslingden St Mary's can celebrate a double promotion while CMB and Thornton are set for a final day cliffhanger, writes BEN SMITH with pictures from Walney Island v Dalton United by LEE HOLMES.

In the Premier Division, CMB kept their title hopes alive in emphatic fashion, defeating Slyne with Hest 7-2.

Carl Grimshaw proved there was life in the warhorse yet as he enjoyed an incredible scoring day, netting five of those seven goals, whilst Dylan Winstanley and Charlie Scholes also got on the scoresheet.

Darius Google and Jack Johnson then pulled two back for Slyne.

That leaves CMB and leaders Thornton Cleveleys separated by just a single point as both sides prepare for their final game of the season next weekend.

Elsewhere, Fulwood Amateurs eventually triumphed 4-3 in a thriller at Blackpool Wren Rovers.

Spencer Lucas and Kyle Higham both scored twice for their respective sides, that after Kian Makepeace’s early goal had been cancelled out by the visitors’ Will Sim.

It would be Aaron Hewitt, however, who landed the decisive blow, netting the game’s seventh and final goal on 70 minutes.

Tempest United made the ideal return to league action after Richardson Cup disappointment in midweek, claiming a 3-0 win against Wyre Villa thanks to a Tom Booth brace and a second-half strike from Jordan Pendlebury.

And Burscough Richmond triumphed by the same scoreline, with goals from Jordan Lorde, Renato Oliveira and Jordan Lorde securing victory over Poulton.

Harley Cueto and Robbie Bagley were on target as Cleator Moor Celtic won 2-1 at Turton, that despite the hosts’ Cole Exley halving the deficit late on.

Reece Thompson got the only goal of the game as Lostock St Gerards beat Rossendale 1-0.

Meanwhile, it was an even quieter day for goals at Coppull United, who played out a 0-0 draw with Whitehaven.

Newly-crowned Division One champions Eagley put in a performance worthy of that crown, with Finlay Stafford netting a hat-trick in a 5-0 triumph at Millom, in which Lewis Nolan and Cole Collins also found the net.

And it looks near-certain that Haslingden St Mary’s will also be making the step up to the Premier Division next season, with a goalless draw at Croston Sports meaning a 13-goal loss against Chipping on Wednesday would now be required to prevent that outcome.

That brings things neatly on to Chipping, who claimed a 4-0 victory at Carnforth Rangers as Matthew Shorrock and Jake Unsworth both scored twice.

Holker Old Boys Reserves, meanwhile, had a slightly less straightforward route to victory, with goals from Farryl Foster, Charlie McGladdery and Tyler Wood sealing a 3-2 comeback win at Lytham Town.

A quickfire double from Billy Bould and Dec Preyzner had earlier put the hosts two up.

In Division Two, a six-minute hat-trick from Jonny Voortman put the seal in Kendal United’s 5-1 victory over Storeys.

Voortman’s treble came after goals from Marco Thompson and Ryan Close, whilst Storeys’ only goal came via Matthew Poole.

Two goals from Hayden Skyme, sandwiched by strikes from Kieran Sollaway and Bailey Murrell, saw Walney Island record a 4-1 win against Dalton United, who pulled one back on the hour through Jordan Chubb.

Pause United ended their campaign with a 2-1 win against Galgate, with Ryan Yates and Marc Cottee spearheading a second-half comeback after Kieran Carpenter had opened the scoring 35 minutes in.

Stoneclough, meanwhile, secured three points in their penultimate game of the season, with Chris Kilpatrick grabbing the only goal as his side saw off Hawcoat Park 1-0.

Goals from Josh Harrison, Lewis Cullen and Jax Hazeldine saw CMB Reserves win 3-0 at Rossendale Reserves in Division One Reserve.

And in the division’s other game this weekend, Eagley Reserves and Poulton Reserves played out a 1-1, with Zac Karanga-Brown’s opener cancelled out by Jordan King.

Lastly, Haslingden St Mary’s Reserves secured promotion in the season’s final pair of Division Two Reserve fixtures, with goals from Toby Wilkinson, Zac Brierley and Olly McDonald sealing a 3-0 win against Lytham Town Reserves.

Elsewhere, goals from Louis Potter and Ryan Wallworth saw Carnforth Rangers Reserves close out the season with a 2-1 win at Chipping Reserves.

The hosts, who had already secured the league title, got on the scoresheet via an own goal.

Where next?

Poulton Res give themselves hope in fight against the drop Nine league games were played on Bank Holiday Monday as the league season entered its final furlong, with pictures of Wyre Villa v Whitehaven by DERRICK THOMAS.
Titles and triumph as midweek matches deliver silverware Freckleton, Thornton Cleveleys Res (pictured above) and Chipping Res enjoyed a wonderful Wednesday as their season-long endeavours came to fruition with promotion and title honours.

West Lancashire Football League newsletter

Keep up-to-date with our exclusive email newsletters.