Cumbrian cupsets as Askam and Casuals storm into last 16

Askam United and Crooklands Casuals enjoyed Premier Division scalps as the Richardson Cup reached the second round stage, writes BEN SMITH with pictures from Lostock St Gerards v Whitehaven by STEVE TAYLOR.

A combination of wet weather and cup competitions brought a heavily reduced schedule of league action this weekend, with just three league fixtures completed in total.

In Division One, Eagley beat Croston Sports 4-2 thanks to goals from Joe Howlin, Harry Wood, Kieran Sisson and Finlay Stafford.

Jordan Wignall and Nick Buckley were the scorers for Croston Sports.

Meanwhile, Dalton United also scored four in Division Two, with Callum Leach, Sam Johnston, Gareth Jones and Jordan Chubb all netting in an eventual 4-1 triumph over AFC Blackpool Reserves, whose only goal came via a late Haiden Wrathall consolation.

Elsewhere, a brace from Lucas Gornall, either side of Adnaan Patel’s 22nd minute strike, saw Astley and Buckshaw beat Garstang Reserves 3-1, with the only minor blemish on the victory being Jack Paynter’s successfully converted spot kick.

Saturday also saw the second round of the Richardson Cup, where two sides were able to secure victory against higher-tiered opposition.

A Sheldon Mossop double saw Division One Askam United beat Premier Division Turton 2-0, whilst it was a similar story a Poulton, where Crooklands Casuals eventually sealed a dramatic 3-2 victory.

The game was tied at 2-2 late, with the visitors’ Lee Irving having seen his brace cancelled out by goals from Ryan Charnley and Max Landless.

However, in the last minute of normal time, Ryan Rodgers struck to secure an impressive cup victory on the road for his side.

Elsewhere, Luke and Nick Hepple both scored twice as Hurst Green registered the biggest win of the round, triumphing 7-2 over Storeys.

Cuan Bradley, Harvey Monk and Daniel Mort also found the net in the win, whilst David Whitelaw and Josh Airey were the scorers for Storeys.

Kendal United beat Euxton Villa Reserves 5-2, that despite a double for the latter’s Theo Davies.

Matthew Kennedy bagged a brace of his own, and he was joined on the scoresheet by Marco Thompson, Jude Close and Jamie Harris.

And there was also a 5-2 victory for Thornton Cleveleys, who won at Rossendale thanks to a Daniel Stoney double, along with goals from Stuart Dagger, Brett Dawson and Danny Fryer.

The hosts’ goals, meanwhile, came through Luke Simpson and Tom Hulme, with the former netting from the penalty spot.

There were relatively comfortable away victories too for Tempest United, who won 4-1 at Slyne with Hest, and Milnthorpe Corinthians, who beat Pause United 3-0 thanks to goals from Shaun Gardner, Reece Pearce and Ewan Atkinson.

One of round two’s more dramatic games meanwhile came at Lostock St Gerards, who battled from 2-0 down to seal a 4-3 win over Whitehaven.

John-Jo Morris got the all-important winner in the 94th minute of the game, completing his brace in the process, after goals Connor McAuley and Zac Wilkes had help bring the hosts back into the tie.

Andrew Sinclair and Ruben Butterworth established Whitehaven’s two-goal advantage, whilst Paul Lomas was also on the scoresheet.

Blackpool Wren Rovers also came from behind to reach round three, recovering from Adam Smith’s second minute strike to win 2-1 at Cleator Moor Celtic thanks to goals from Jacob Aspinall and Luke Harris.

It was a slightly more stress-free route to victory for Fulwood Amateurs, who beat Millom 3-0 thanks to a first-half brace from Spencer Lucas, either side of Will Sim’s second.

And in the last of Saturday’s ties, Reece Barton got the only goal as Haslingden St Mary’s won 1-0 at Kendal County, whilst Coppull United beat Hesketh Bank 4-3 on penalties after the game had ended goalless.

Moving on now, and into the third set of Stewart Rowe Memorial Cup group stage fixtures, where there was certainly no shortage of goals on Saturday.

In Group A, Blackpool Wren Rovers Reserves won 5-3 at Freckleton Reserves, whist Fulwood Amateurs Reserves beat Fulwood Amateurs A 4-2 thanks to goals from Hugo Strand, Layton Kirnon, David McPherson and Joe Collins.

Fulwood Amateurs A’s goals, meanwhile, were scored by Isaac Webster and Kyle Finch.

In the other game in the group, Storeys Reserves saw off Thornton Cleveleys A 2-0, with Ollie Seddon and Josh Heap the scorers.

Cole Exley and Tommy Dollin were the stars of the show in Group B, as both scored hat-tricks to help their sides win 6-0 and 6-1 respectively.

Exley’s treble came as Turton Reserves won at Croston Sports Reserves, with Queasy Obidoyin, Ethan Mason and James Buckley also finding the net, the latter from the penalty.

Meanwhile, Dollin was joined on the scoresheet by Joel Khambay, Jamie Sanderson and Connor Thompson as Thornton Cleveleys Reserves beat Rossendale Reserves.

On to Group C, and Haslingden St Marys Reserves recorded a handsome away victory, as George Haworth, Toby Wilkinson, Sam Gammack and Joe McQuade also netted in a 4-1 win at Rossendale A.
Luke Simmonds got the hosts’ only goal.

Meanwhile, Hesketh Bank Reserves also won away from home, beating Carnforth Rangers Reserves 2-1 thanks to goals from Harry Greenhalgh and John Stead, with a second-half own goal ultimately only serving to halve the deficit.

And lastly, in Group D, Zach Wilson scored twice and Henry Harrison and Anthony Ollerton also found the net as Chipping Reserves recorded a 4-1 against CMB Reserves, whose only goal came via Liam McColl.

Where next?

Stewart Rowe Memorial Cup - current league tables Here are the current group standings in the Stewart Rowe Memorial Cup.
First teams of the month winners revealed CMB, Ulverston Rangers, Freckleton and Haslingden St Mary's Reserves have been named the first West Lancashire League 'Teams of the Month' for 2023/24.

West Lancashire Football League newsletter

Keep up-to-date with our exclusive email newsletters.