Coppull singing in the rain with double success

Coppull United beat the latest winter downpours to seal six points on a day only six matches reached a finish, with pictures from Fulwood Reserves v Carnforth Reserves by GRAHAM LANCASTER.

Coppull United widened the gap to the three teams in the relegation spots with a last-gasp win at Rossendale in the Premier Division.

Cameron Murphy and Sean Elliot fired them into a two-goal lead at the break only for Rossendale to look to have earned a point with second half goals from Scott Wylie and Tom Hulme.

But Jimmy McIver popped up on 88 minutes to seal a 3-2 win, Coppull’s second on the road this season.

Thornton Cleveleys also narrowly won away at Whitehaven, Dominic Ritchie sealing the three points on 70 minutes with the only goal of the game.

Cleator Moor Celtic were 8-0 up at half-time against Slyne but the game was abandoned at half-time due to pitch conditions.

Askam boosted their promotion hopes in the only Division One game of the day, beating Croston Sports 3-1.

Ben Phizaklea, Callum Rayner and Joe Tindall scored for the home side with Ric Tomlinson grabbing a late consolation.

The entire Division Two schedule was wiped out and only one game survived the weather in Division One Reserve – but what a humdinger it was.

Coppull Reserves beat Hurst Green Reserves 5-4 with Greg Brickell notching the winner on 87 minutes.

Luke Conti put the visitors ahead and then later equalised after Coppull roared back through Scott Hendy and Brickell.

Jonty Mattock made it 3-2 at half-time to the home side with Hendy making it 4-2 on 52 minutes.

But Hurst Green didn’t give in with Jordan Rawcliffe and Tony Williams levelling once again to make it 4-4 with 2-0 minutes left to play.

But Brickell had the final say to leave Coppull in fourth.

It was a tale of three penalties at as Thornton Cleveleys A drew 3-3 with Storeys Res in Division Two Reserve.

Josh Heap fired home from the spot on 25 minutes to put Storeys ahead with Danny Sumner and Callum Dickinson putting Thornton in the ascendancy with goals either side of half-time.

Heap secured his second penalty to make it 2-2 and Isaac Fenton put Storeys back in front until five minutes from time when Alwyn Flynn also netted from the spot to make it 3-3.

In the Stewart Rowe Memorial Cup quarter finals, Fulwood Amateurs Reserves were made to work hard by Carnforth Reserves before running out 4-1 winners.

Lewis Spurr put the away side ahead on 20 minutes from 25 yards with Joe Slinger bundling home for the equaliser on 40 minutes.

A Cory Gill double and Reece Jones’ finish sealed the home side’s semi-final spot.

Where next?

Easter and May fixtures to combat wretched weather The West Lancashire League 2023/24 season is set to be extended into May due to a record number of postponements post-Covid.
Trophy winners asked to return silverware Clubs which won silverware at the end of the 2022/23 season are being politely asked to bring back their trophies to a league official ahead of the next league meeting.

West Lancashire Football League newsletter

Keep up-to-date with our exclusive email newsletters.