Slyne savour first win thanks to Cunningham the conqueror

Josh Cunningham was on the spot for Slyne while Joe Wareing had an afternoon to remember just down the road at Storeys, writes BEN SMITH with pictures from Wyre Villa v Tempest by DERICK THOMAS.

We start this edition of the roundup with that big win for Slyne with Hest, who claimed a first Premier Division victory of the season at the 15th attempt with a 4-2 triumph over Turton.

Josh Cunningham netted a hat-trick in the win, including two from the spot, whilst Jack Ireland also got on the scoresheet.

Ricardo Pembele and Callum Hardman were the scorers for Turton.

At the other end of the table, the top two kept up the frightening pace of their battle, picking up maximum points again on Saturday.

Leaders Thornton Cleveleys claimed a 2-1 win against Lostock St Gerards, with Lewis Walmsley and Dom Richie netting either side of Mark Woods’ equaliser.

Meanwhile, CMB beat Milnthorpe Corinthians 5-2, and continue to lurk dangerously in second with three games in hand.

Dylan Winstanley, Kyle Hynes, Dan Crook, Anthony Hough and Charlie Scholes all found the net to seal the victory, whilst Milnthorpe’s goals came via Scott Singleton.

There was high drama at Hurst Green, who rallied from 3-1 down to win 4-3 against Blackpool Wren Rovers.

Ric Seear’s opener and a brace from Kian Makepeace gave the away side that two-goal advantage heading into half-time, with Jake Lloyd having briefly halved the deficit at 2-1.

However, second-half strikes from Jordan Monk, Tom Divver and Harvey Monk, the latter of which came in the 85th minute, would seal a remarkable turnaround.

A Spencer Lucas brace, sandwiched by goals from Noah Hindley and Layton Kirnon, saw Fulwood Amateurs beat Cleator Moor Celtic 4-0.

Poulton saw off Coppull United 2-1, with Sean Elliot’s 71st minute goal only serving to halve the deficit established by Reece Russell and Mitch Cheetham.

And we end our look at the Premier Division with a pair of 1-0 wins, with Rossendale triumphing at Whitehaven thanks to a goal from Tom Hulme, and Sam Parkinson scoring the only goal as Tempest United won at Wyre Villa.

Into Division One, where a Jack Milburn double helped Ulverston Rangers win 3-1 at Eagley, and to leapfrog their opponents at the top of the table.

Sam Pinnegor also got on the scoresheet for the visitors, whilst Alfie Cowen pulled one back for Eagley late on.

Ethan Edmudson and Declan Hardarce both got two for Chipping, as they beat Crooklands Casuals 5-1.

Gary Knight was also in the target in the win, whilst Crooklands Casuals’ goal came via a Nathan Shaw penalty.

And two appeared to be the magic number in Division One this weekend, as a pair of further players struck twice for their respective sides.

Sebastian Bailey’s brace came as Hesketh Bank claim a 2-1 victory against Millom, who had taken a second-half lead through Oliver Pachul.

Meanwhile, Joe Jobling got both goals as Carnforth Rangers won 2-0 away at Lytham Town.

And in the final Division One fixture, Haslingden St Mary’s and Askam United played out a 1-1 draw, with Callum Rayner’s opener quickly cancelled out by Brady Boardman.

Division Two leaders Freckleton maintained their advantage at the top with a 6-3 win against Stoneclough, in a match in which the table-toppers were behind on the three separate occasions.

Courtney Skerritt and Ross Wakefield were locked in scintillating shoot-out, with both having completed their hat-tricks at 3-3, before goals from Callum Williams, Joe Bentley and Keifer Cunningham sealed all three points for Freckleton.

However, it would be Joe Wareing who lead the way in the scoring stakes, as he netted five in Storeys’ 8-0 win against Galgate, with the scoring completed by Ryan Yates, Josh Draycott and a Matthew Poole penalty.

Two first-half goals from Tom Graham set Garstang Reserves on their way to a 3-0 win against Caton United, with Owen Pye rounding things off on 79 minutes.

Astley and Buckshaw and Pause United played out a 2-2 draw, with goals from Scott Hammill and Danny Cooper cancelled out by Asa Stone and Ben Secker.

Alan King and Stuart McDonald struck in quick succession to hand Euxton Villa Reserves a 2-1 win at Walney Island, who halved the deficit late in the second-half through Will Boulton.

And Alex Bolland got the only goal of the game as Dalton United beat Kendal United 1-0.

For the last of the weekend’s league action, we move to Division Two Reserve, where Milnthorpe Corinthians Reserves and Hesketh Bank Reserves played out a remarkable 3-3 draw.

The score stood at 2-0 after 84 minutes, with Owen Cuerden and Craig Bamber having struck for Hesketh Bank Reserves, before a Will Booth brace and Tom Ladds’ goal completed a rapid and remarkable turnaround.

However, there was to be one final twist, as Joe Stead scored just two minutes later, and in the third minute of time added on, to level scores once more at 3-3.

Meanwhile, Haslingden St Marys Reserves won 2-0 at Thornton Cleveleys A thanks to goals from James Goodyear and Tom Brierley.

In the weekend’s only Richardson Cup action, Burscough Richmond had goalkeeper Jack Lawrence to thank after his two penalty shoot-out saves helped the Premier Division side finally see off valiant visitors Hawcoat Park in a delayed second round tie.

Lawrence parried the first two Hawcoat Park efforts to help Richmond to a 4-2 shoot-out win after the game ended 0-0 in normal time.

Richmond dominated possession and hit the bar twice early on through Jordan Lorde and James Walker but could not find a way past visiting keeper Brad McKenna, who also tipped over a stinging half volley from Mike Galliers.

Hawcoat Park looked dangerous on the break although were restricted to efforts from distance.

For all Burscough’s pressure in the second half, they couldn’t find a telling chance and were repelled bravely by Hawcoat Park’s tireless defence, marshalled superbly by captain Ollie Maguire and fellow centre back Joe Mitchell.

But Hawcoat’s hopes of a giant-killing were scuppered by Lawrence who twice dived to his right to earn his side a nervy win and a place in the next round.

A hat-trick from Ellis Wilson would set Blackpool Wren Rovers Reserves on their way to a 7-0 victory over Storeys Reserves in Group A of the Stewart Rowe Memorial Cup.

Harvey Walford rounded things off with a double, whilst Jordan Wood and Robbie Hulme also got on the scoresheet.

In Group B, two goals from Nick Skelly put the icing on Tempest United Reserves’ 5-1 victory against Poulton Reserves.

Mitchell Davenport, Jude Plant and James Dean also scored in the win, whilst Poulton Reserves’ only goal came via Ben Bowker.

And in Group C, Josh Hadwin got the only goal of the game as Carnforth Rangers Reserves won 1-0 at Coppull Reserves.

Finally, we take a briefly look at the Lancashire Amateur Cup, where Turton Reserves are through to the next round after a 4-0 win against Old Boltonians.

Where next?

October/November teams of the month revealed The latest winners of our bi-monthly team awards can be announced.
Gerards bow out but Thornton are singing in the rain Only five league matches survived ‘soggy Saturday’ – but two that did may well have a big say in the Premier Division title race, with pictures of Elton Vale v Lostock St Gerards by STEVE TAYLOR.

West Lancashire Football League newsletter

Keep up-to-date with our exclusive email newsletters.