Magnificent Millom make dash for survival

By Andy Sykes

Fulwood Amateurs were left to fly the flag in the LFA Amateur Shield as Coppull United and Wyre Villa bowed out, writes BEN SMITH with pictures from both quarter finals involving our teams by JOHN SHIRRAS and DERICK THOMAS.

Before we delve into the league action, there were ties played in a variety of cup competitions this weekend.

Starting with the Lancashire Amateur Shield, where our West Lancs sides encountered mixed fortunes in their quarter-finals.

Fulwood Amateurs advanced to the final four, as goals from Spencer Lucas, Aaron Aiton and Will Sim secured a 3-1 victory in an all-West Lancs tie against Coppull United, who found the net through Taylor Brickell.

Lucas curled home smartly on 27 minutes before Aiton's cross-shot put Fulwood in firm control.

Brickell then reacted quickest to slam home a rebound off the post but Sim settled the tie in the second period.

However, Wyre Villa exited the competition following a 3-1 defeat at Winstanley Warriors, Kole Pratt getting their goal in that tie.

Kendal County also experienced cup joy, and are through to the semi-final of the Westmorland Senior Cup after a 3-0 win against Hest Bank in which Jay Hayton netted a double and Connor Walmsley also found the net.

Turton Reserves are out of the Lancashire Amateur Cup, that’s after losing their 4th round tie at Winstanley St Aidens 4-0.

Kendal United secured passage through the third round of the Richardson Cup, winning 3-0 at Holker Old Boys Reserves as Jamie Harris scored twice, either side of a goal from Ryan Close.

To league action now and CMB further solidified their spot at the top of the Premier Division on Saturday, with a Daniel Locke double setting the leaders on their way to a 4-0 win at Hurst Green.

Alex Leigh and Anthony Hough then struck in the second half to round off the victory, a victory that sees the gap between first and second now stand at eight points.

Taylor Brickell pulls one back for Coppull before half-time

Taylor Brickell pulls one back for Coppull before half-time

That’s after Thornton Cleveleys, currently CMB’s closest challengers, played out a 1-1 draw against near neighbours Poulton, with Daniel Stoney’s early opener cancelled out by Mitch Cheetham.

Elsewhere, Burscough Richmond bounced back emphatically from going a goal down against Cleator Moor Celtic, ultimately running out 4-1 winners.

Luke Close opened the scoring just nine minutes in, before Jordan Lorde struck netted twice before the break to turn the game on its head.

Billy Whittle and Harry Avis then grabbed a goal apiece late on.

Rossendale also rallied from behind to seal victory, with Teal Amos and Tom Hulme striking in quick succession to secure a 2-1 win at Milnthorpe Corinthians after Craig Ronald had put the hosts in front early on.

Olly Evans, Ben Leppin and Reece Thompson were all on target as Lostock St Gerards won 3-0 at Slyne with Hest, whilst Blackpool Wren Rovers also picked up maximum points on the road.

Ric Seear scored twice, either side of a goal from Ben Duffield, in a 3-1 win at Turton, who pulled one back late on through Jack Griffin.

Askam United registered one of the standout results in Division One, defeating league leaders Eagley 3-0 thanks to goals from Joe Tindall, Sheldon Mossop and Aiden Pearson.

That result offered Haslingden St Mary’s the opportunity to gain ground in the title race, an opportunity that was seized with both hands a 3-1 at Carnforth Rangers.

Brady Boardman netted a brace in the win, whilst Jack Cain also got on the scoresheet.

Damian Murphy got the hosts’ only goal of the game.

Two goals from Reece Orton helped Millom record a 4-1 victory against Lytham Town, with Jed Philip and Jamie Pattinson also on target.

Dec Preyzner then netted a consolation for Lytham.

That's two wins on the bounce for Millom who are now out of the bottom two in the race for survival.

Meanwhile, Croston Sports eventually overcame Crooklands Casuals 4-2 thanks to a brace from Jordan Wignall, and late goals from Nick Buckley and Joey Richardson.

Kyle Delves and Harvey Irving had earlier struck to make it 2-1 Crooklands Casuals, a scoreline which stood for more than half an hour.

Concluding this week’s look at Division One are Chipping, who won 1-0 at Southport Hesketh thanks to Sam Chapman’s 79th-minute strike.

Stuart McDonald and Jake Greene both scored twice as Euxton Villa Reserves registered Division Two’s biggest win of the weekend, with James Hale, George Davis and Liam McNally also on target in a 7-2 win at Galgate.

Liam Painter and Jonny Thom were the scorers for the hosts.

Astley and Buckshaw are now six points clear at the top of the division as late goals from Jordan Mitchell and Lucas Gornall sealed a 4-2 win against Hawcoat Park.

The game had previously been level at 2-2, with goals from Ollie Vaulks and Lucas Gornall cancelled out by Sam Beattie and Matthew Roberts.

That result means Freckleton may need to win at least two of their three games in hand to keep pace with the league leaders.

Elsewhere, Garstang Reserves eventually triumphed in a 4-3 thriller against Pause United, in part thanks to a brace from Luke Williams.

Rory Walmsley and Sam Burton then struck in quick succession to seal all three points, despite Ben Roberts, Jack Preston and Jordan Lynch all finding the net for Pause United.

Austin Almond was the star of show for Stoneclough, scoring all three of his side’s goals as they claimed a 3-2 victory against Dalton United, whose goals came via Jordan Chubb and Robbie McMurdo.

Last but by no means least in this roundup of the Division Two action are Walney Island, who strengthened their promotion hopes with a 4-0 win against Charnock Richard Reserves in which Kieran Sollaway scored twice, and Hayden Skyme and Zach Walker grabbed a goal apiece.

It was a big weekend for Thornton Cleveleys Reserves, who moved within two points of the Division One Reserve summit with a 6-3 win at CMB Reserves.

Harry Fryer scored twice in the win, joined on the scoresheet by Tommy Dollin, Sam Cross, Jake Mangan and Danny Sumner.

The hosts’ goals, meanwhile, were scored by Jax Hazeldine, Harry Dixon and Jack Locke.

That result came as Lostock St Gerards Reserves came from behind to beat leaders Fulwood Amateurs Reserves 2-1, with a Charlie Zammitt double turning the game around after Hugo Strand had opened the scoring.

And in the division’s only result of the weekend, Eagley Reserves won 4-1 against Hurst Green Reserves thanks to goals from Charlie Needham, Jake Ryan, Josh Aspinall and Zach Karanga-Brown.

Daniel Mort got Hurst Green Reserves’ only goal.

Division Two Reserve
saw a pair of 6-0 wins on Saturday, with Hesketh Bank beating Croston Sports Reserves thanks to a hat-trick from Owen Cuerden, two from Kacper Ganczarski and a goal from Harry Greenhalgh.

Meanwhile, Dan Blackburn bagged a double as Thornton Cleveleys A triumphed at Lytham Town Reserves, where the scoring was completed by Callum Dickinson, Josh Wood, Will Cooper and an own goal.

Arguably, however, the division’s most eye-catching scoreline occurred at Fulwood Amateurs A, who eventually registered a remarkable 6-4 victory over Storeys Reserves.

James Jemson, Byron Fletcher, Lewis Masters and Jordan Cartwright all found the net as Freckleton Reserves beat Carnforth Rangers Reserves 4-2.

And Rossendale A also claimed maximum points, with goals from Stephen Claxon, Tejay Bacon and Dale Lomax sealing a 3-0 win against Milnthorpe Corinthians Reserves.

Where next?

Saints go marching on as five defeat higher level opponents Haslingden St Mary's secured a Premier Division scalp in the Richardson Cup on a day lower division sides enjoyed notable cup success, writes BEN SMITH with pictures from Thornton Res v Poulton Res by DONNA ARTIS.
Five beat elements but home provides little comfort The thaw did not come quickly enough for most teams in the West Lancashire League this weekend with only five matches played - but some sides showed some red hot scoring form.

West Lancashire Football League newsletter

Keep up-to-date with our exclusive email newsletters.