Bottom sides live to fight another day after tremendous wins

By Andy Sykes

Both Slyne-with-Hest and Southport Hesketh came from behind to earn vital wins in their unlikely bids to stave off relegation, writes BEN SMITH with pictures from Caton United v Freckleton by PAUL HUNT.

On a welcome weekend where the majority of fixtures were unaffected by the weather, it was instead goals that were raining in across the West Lancashire League.

An immediate electric pace was set at the top of the Premier Division, where the league’s top two registered a combined 11 goals.

Second-placed CMB, still in control of their own title destiny thanks to games in hand, beat Coppull United 6-0 thanks to a brace from Carl Grimshaw, and goals from Will Owen, Dan Crook, Ben Thornton and Anthony Hough.

Current leaders Thornton Cleveleys, meanwhile, won 5-1 against Wyre Villa with Oliver Wilkinson scoring twice, and Jordan Beavers, Dominic Ritchie and Lewis Walmsley also finding the net.

Joe Slater was the scorer of Wyre Villa’s only goal.

At the other end of the table, Slyne with Hest recorded just a second league win of the season in some style, eventually triumphing 6-3 away at Turton.

The hosts twice led the game through the first of two Cole Exley goals, and a strike from Mahal Shereen, before Slyne went on to claim all three points thanks to a Liam Rodgers double, and goals from Bevan Carr, Jamie Huddlestone, Ryan Cunningham and Ryan Hollins.

A hat-trick from Spencer Lucas helped Fulwood Amateurs come from behind to claim the second of three 5-1 wins in the division on Saturday, that after Max Landless had opened the scoring for opponents Poulton 12 minutes in.

Will Pitt and Yasin Resaei were also on the scoresheet.

The third of those five-star performances was produced by Hurst Green, with Cuan Bradley’s hat-trick and goals from James Barnes and Charlie Collinge securing a 5-1 win over Milnthorpe Corinthians, whose only goal came via Nick Grundy.

Ric Seear was another to score three as Blackpool Wren Rovers eventually triumphed 4-0 at Lostock St Gerards, with a goal from Jacob Aspinall rounding off the win.

Burscough Richmond are eyeing third and they beat Cleator Moor Celtic 3-2, with Zach Carberry opening the scoring, before Jordan Lorde and Ben McCaron each struck twice for their respective sides.

And concluding this weekend’s Premier Division action, second-half strikes from Oliver Williams and Simon Nangle saw in-form Rossendale rally from a goal down to win 2-1 at Tempest United, who took the lead 10 minutes in through Jordan Pendlebury.

Their third straight win puts them fourth in their debut season in the top flight.

Division One saw a significant upset on Saturday, as bottom side Southport Hesketh beat promotion chasers Ulverston Rangers 3-2.

Having gone more than a full calendar year without tasting victory, goals from Joe Tieney, Charlie Gray and Brandon Phillips-Jones sealed a second in three games for their side, who had trailed twice to first-half strikes from Scott McDonald and Sam Pinnegor.

Haslingden St Mary’s took full advantage of that result, climbing up to second with a 2-0 win down the road at Hesketh Bank in which Michael White and James Wright were the scorers.

But it’s Eagley who remain top of the division, with Finlay Stafford scoring twice in a 4-1 victory over Crooklands Casuals.

Kieran Lomax and Alfie Cowen were also on target in the win, whilst a goal from Ryan Rodgers did briefly level things at 1-1 early in the first-half.

Jordan McGarry, Freddie Lawton and Charlie Thompson helped Holker Old Boys Reserves claim a point on the road, with the trio scoring in an entertaining 3-3 draw at Croston Sports, whose goals came via Harvey Parker, Luke Blockley and Ric Tomlinson.

Dec Preyzner got Lytham Town off to a flying start at Kendal County, opening the scoring inside two minutes in an eventual 3-1 win.

That opener was cancelled out by a goal from Cameron Khan, before Danny Scarlett and Tom Bell struck to secure all three points for the visitors.

Elsewhere, Carnforth Rangers beat Millom 2-0 thanks to goals from Cameron Holmes and Joe Wilkinson.

Division Two promotion hopefuls Freckleton showed the full force of their firepower, netting seven without reply away at Caton United.

Courtney Skerritt and Jake Turner both scored twice, whilst Ellis Campbell, Rhys Turner and Joe Bentley netted one apiece.

That result became even more significant as Dalton United beat leaders Astley and Buckshaw 2-1, with Philip Rigg and Robbie Sanderson scoring in the first-half, before Sam Swarbrick halved the deficit on 76 minutes.

Combined, Saturday’s scores mean Freckleton could wrestle back control of the title race, though they would need to win each of their four games in hand.

Away from the battle at the top, and Kendal United were the division’s second side to score seven, emphatically responding to an early set-back to beat Euxton Villa Reserves 7-1.

Ian Billington opened the scoring two minutes in, before both Ryan and Jude Close scored twice, and Nick Crierie, Jonny Voortman and Marco Thompson also found the net.

A hat-trick from Luke Williams, along with goals from Lewis Heap and Jack Paynter, saw Garstang Reserves record a 5-1 win over Galgate, whose only goal was scored by Jonny Thom.

Pause United and Walney Island, meanwhile, played out a 1-1 draw, as Aaron Helliwell’s earlier opener was cancelled out by Paul Wrathall.

Fulwood Amateurs Reserves closed the gap at the top of Division One Reserve to just a single point, albeit having played a game more than leaders Thornton Cleveleys Reserves, with a 5-3 victory at Copull Reserves.

Cory Gill scored twice in the win, and was joined on the scoresheet by Joe Collins, Alex Smithson and Luke Worswick.
The hosts’ goals, meanwhile, came via Scott Hendy and a brace for Lee Richardson.

Two from Josh Aspinall, along with a Gary Ash strike and an own goal, saw Eagley Reserves win 4-3 at Poulton Reserves, despite Dillon Grimshaw, Haiden Wrathall and Josh O’Neill all finding the net for the home side.

And Tempest United Reserves battled from 2-0 down to claim a point at Blackpool Wren Rovers Reserves, with Joel Shorthouse and Nick Skelly cancelling out goals from Aidan Burrows and George Hawkins in an eventual 2-2 draw.

In Division Two Reserve, Forlan Jakovvlevs, James Goodyear and Charlie Lord were among the scorers as Haslingden St Mary’s Reserves beat Fulwood Amateurs A 4-0.

Freckleton Reserves also scored four, with Josh Marshall, Jordan Cartwright, Jack Williams and Theo Cunliffe all on target in a 4-2 triumph over Chipping Reserves, whose goals came via Zach Wilson and Tom Airey.

And finally, an 88th minute goal from Ben Wilcock handed Croston Sports Reserves a 3-2 win at Milnthorpe Corinthians Reserves.

Dan Nowell and Tom Jackson had earlier netted for the hosts, either side of a quickfire double from Jamie Lynch.

Where next?

Tempest 'storm' into second final in three years Sam Parkinson was the hat-trick hero as Tempest United's quest for Richardson Cup glory was kept alive, writes BEN SMITH with pictures from Fulwood v Coppull by JOHN SHIRRAS.
Wilkinson's wonder strike inspires Thornton to dramatic victory Comeback kings Thornton Cleveleys breathed new life into the Premier Division title race after an enthralling top-of-the-table clash against CMB, writes BEN SMITH with images from that match by TIM BRICE.

West Lancashire Football League newsletter

Keep up-to-date with our exclusive email newsletters.